A Lifetime of Art and Science
Bruce has always been drawn to the visual arts. During his first career as an officer in the Royal Canadian Navy Reserve (CIL), he was known for his drawings of the figure and for portraiture,
His second career in the art and science of dentistry began when he was only 23 years old and he has been a student of the arts ever since.
Bruce he has studied drawing, design, and sculpture with professional artists, visited performing and visual arts venues throughout Europe and is currently a leader of the Peninsula Carvers wood carving club in South Surrey, BC, Canada as well as an active member of the Northwest Stone Sculptors Association. He has been mentored by professional and renowned instructors in First Nations “formline” design.His stone and wood carvings have won many awards at local and international juried shows.
Bruce began sculpting in stone in 1996, and now in this third career recently began to work in wood. He enjoys classic European style carving for architectural purposes, First Nations inspired carving, relief and in the round design but is especially interested in study of the human figure.
Bruce lives with his life partner and wife, Silvia, and is the father of three grown and successful children and two beautiful granddaughters. He can be reached at (604) 536-7324 to view the sculpture.
Carving Curriculum Vitae:
- Soapstone Carving Course: White Rock Leisure Services – 1996
- Lee Valley stone and woodcarving courses 2000(?) – 2015
- Peninsula Carvers woodcarving instruction: Robert Smith/John Vanspronssen/Rupert Scow et al
- Shuswap School of Carving and Arts symposium: Michael Binkley, 2016
- Richmond Carvers Society Annual Wood Carving Show winner : Richmond, BC 2015, 2016, 2017. Canada 150 special award 2017.
- Desert Wood Carving Show and Sale winner (intermediate category), Mesa, AZ, 2016
- Formline (North Northwest Coastal First Nations design) workshop with Robert Barratt, January 2017
- Northwest Stone Sculptors Association symposium (August, 2017: Suttle Lake, OR)
- Sculpting the Human Figure in Clay February 24-25 2018, Linda Lindsay Sculpture, Victoria
- Drawing the Human Figure, Gabriele Vicari, February 26-27 2018, Victoria
- SculptItaly, Figurative and portrait sculpture (June/July 2018, Pietrasanta, Italy,
- Northwest Stone Sculptors Association symposium, July 2018, Port Orchard, WA
- Shuswap School of Carving and Arts symposium, Sorrento, BC (September 2018, John McKinnon)
- Peninsula Art Tour, Surrey, September 29-30, 2018
- Pop Uptown Gallery (curate 3 artist show), White Rock, BC, October, 2018
- Surrey Arts Council NewsMag: Artist Spotlight feature
- Semiahmoo Arts Member Show, Surrey, BC: January-February 2019
- Tibetan Stone Carving Workshop, Clinton, WA, March 2-3, 2019